Currently, the concern for skincare and overall health has led to a significant increase in the popularity of natural cosmetics, with more and more people seeking alternatives to conventional products.

But what does “natural cosmetic” mean?

A natural cosmetic is understood to be one that is made from ingredients of natural origin, whether plant or animal, comprising at least 90% of its formulation. The remaining 10% would consist of preservatives and other necessary substances to complement the composition, ensuring its stability and safety. Although, in most cases, the ratio would be 90-10, we can also find cosmetic products that are 100% made from natural ingredients.

On the other hand, there is also ecological cosmetics, which consumers often confuse with natural cosmetics. However, ecological cosmetics go a step further—they are cosmetic products made from natural ingredients, and a minimum of them must come from cultivation in certified ecological fields. This minimum limit is established by the ISO 16128 standard.

There are also some certifications and private seals that can indicate that a cosmetic product is natural. Certification programs, such as ECOCERT or COSMOS, have specific standards for the ingredients used, production methods, and environmental impact. Products that meet the criteria of these certifications can carry the corresponding seal, providing consumers with greater confidence.

Furthermore, not everything goes…

It’s important to note that, even if a cosmetic product is promoted as “natural,” it’s necessary to read its list of ingredients and assess its content to determine its authenticity. Additionally, natural products are not exempt from causing allergic reactions or irritations, so it’s crucial, as with any other cosmetic product, that a proper toxicological and safety assessment has been conducted.